Concordia Lutheran Church was established as a Swedish Lutheran Church in the Augustana Synod on January 29, 1898, by immigrants moving into the North Center neighborhood from Andersonville. Church members crafted much of the woodwork themselves. They incorporated their favorite scripture themes in the stained-glass windows: Christ as the Good Shepherd and Children of the Heavenly Father.
The original building was a wood frame chapel on Cuyler and Damen Aves. In 1903 the congregation moved to its present site, and began to build a more permanent sanctuary. The cost of the undertaking proved more daunting than members had anticipated. By 1910, only half of the building had been erected. For years, Concordia Lutheran Church was known in the neighborhood as "The Basement Church." The building was finally completed in 1914, and the difference in bricks can still be seen between the lower and upper halves of the church.
Today, Concordia Lutheran Church is a member congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), the largest body of Lutherans in North America.